Thursday, December 3, 2009

How do I paint over gloss with a metalic paint?

I want to paint some wood a shiny gold colour. I have a metalic gold paint suitable for wood but when I tried it out it wouldn't stick to the wood because it has previously been painted with a gloss paint.





Do I just need to paint over the gloss with a regular undercoat so the metalic paint will stick? There's too much wood for paint stripping or sanding so I want to avoid this.How do I paint over gloss with a metalic paint?
Lightly sand the surface and then wipe down free of all dust.


PRIME the surface wiht a good primer paint. THEN add the gold.





I have recently painted over all the woodwork in my house with paint, and all we did was prime them. Using sandpaper allows the primer to better adhere, but be sure to use a very light grade of sandpaper so as not to leave visible scratches once the paint is on.How do I paint over gloss with a metalic paint?
ALWAYS rough the surface with a low grade sand paper...then prime...if you don't the new paint will bubble %26amp; peel....and will cost you alot more time. Who wants that? I did this once w/o priming--good heavens...the paint came off left %26amp; right with my trim/ceiling tape.....
You will need to 'rough up' the gloss paint with a quick light sanding. Unfortunately, I don't think you have any other options. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting