Thursday, December 3, 2009

How to remove years of old gloss paint?

Ive just bought my new house and we're currently ripping the place to bits but the only thing thats proving difficult is our stairs, the wood that runs at the side of the stairs is nice and grooved, we dont want to take this away, but there's about 10 years of gloss paint on it! we want to strip this paint back to the original wood, how can we do this quickly?How to remove years of old gloss paint?
Apply paint stripper. The old paint softens and you remove it with a metal scraper. Apply to a small area at a time, otherwise the paint gets hard again when the paint stripper dries. I use paint stripper on wood or metal. I managed a car painting shop for some time.How to remove years of old gloss paint?
PAINT STRIPPER
Stripping it would work but it is not easy and is messy and time consuming, and is expensive for a job that size. You could sand it first to get most of the paint off and that would reduce your cost and time using the stripper. I would invest in a palm sander if you don't have one to get most of it off and then strip. I am house painter and I know just how much work is involved stripping and I hate doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting