Monday, November 30, 2009

How do I avoid the ripple effect when I spray gloss laquer on my motorbike plastics?

Hi there, I have finished painting all my bike plastics and they look real good. Problem is I need to finish it off with a laquer but when I tested it it leaves like a ripple effect on the surface. Is there any way of avoiding this? If I wet n dry the laquer it makes it smooth but then it becomes a matt finish. I am using innotec clearcoat.How do I avoid the ripple effect when I spray gloss laquer on my motorbike plastics?
are u using premixed in a can or 2pac in a gun?...


do a couple of ''misty'' coats of topcoat,then a heavy coat....even after you wet/dry it you can use rubbing compound/G3 and or T-cut to buff it back to gloss.....


ive sprayed 1000's of bikes.How do I avoid the ripple effect when I spray gloss laquer on my motorbike plastics?
For a novice paint sprayer the easiest way of getting a good finish is to not worry about how it looks when you've first sprayed it.


Just make sure you get a good covering of lacquer and leave it overnight. Then wet flat it with 1500 wet and dry paper which, as you say, will give it a matt finish.


The secret then is to polish it by using Farecla G3 Cutting Compound and plenty of water. This will bring the shine back and it can be finished off with a wax polish.
Clear lacquer is a little difficult for a novice to spray,you can't see the build up,it's clear.so you have a tendency to miss apply.Gun distance should be 8-10'; from surface.Best spray many thin coats with 5-10 mins in between.And if your brave enough the last coat should be 80%thinners 20% lacquer.The thinner rich coat will float it all together.Be warned,if you get this right,no polishing/rubbing down will be needed,Get it wrong ie too much applied,it'll run right off.
Sounds like you are spraying a bit to close, spray from a slightly further distance. Try it on a bit of scrap to perfect the distance.
It is all in the distance of the nozzle from the work and the speed at which you move your hand. Practice on some other material first.
several thin coats are much better than 1 thin coat


and they wont ripple

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting