Monday, November 30, 2009

Is it OK to Gloss paint the Skirting boards before attaching them to the walls?

I am putting new skirting boards up as I have put in an expensive wooden floor, and instead of attaching the skirting on first before I gloss it for the perfect finish, I was wondering if I could gloss it first and then attach it on the wall.





Also, I do not want to use no more nails to attach the thing - should I nail it on or screw it on? Some of the walls are plasterboard and the exterior walls are cavity walls with plasterboard.Is it OK to Gloss paint the Skirting boards before attaching them to the walls?
easier, then you just touch up where there is scratches etc from the screwing and such,





i'd screw them but make sure on the plasterboard or stud walls you find the joists to attach them to,





mark along the skirts where the joists are , ( pre drill holes in skirt ) sink the screws and fill them!Is it OK to Gloss paint the Skirting boards before attaching them to the walls?
You could prime and undercoat them, but I wouldn't top coat them. As advised, you will still need to fill the holes for whatever fixings you use, and fill any gaps at the top and the corners.





What I would do, to protect your flooring when you do paint them, is to fix them resting on something thin, like cardboard. When removed, this will leave a tiny gap under them. Then, when you top coat them, you can slide a sheet of newspaper underneath to protect the floor.
Yes, that is a good idea. I would use screws, as the skirting is more easily removed if the need ever arose. You can get screws designed to go into plasterboard, ask at your local hardware store.
I've done it so yes! What you need is a counter sink punch to get the nai in clely and below the surface, some plastic wood and thats it. nail it on, fill the hole and paint the spots and job done.
I should think so, clever idea, you'll just have to cover the nail/screw marks. Smarty pants!!
depends how you are fitting them back....Yes if you are going to use 'Hard as Nails' glue....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting