Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I have formica counter tops that have a high gloss finish?

I usually clean them with Windex however now they do not shine as they did previously.


Should I be using something else?I have formica counter tops that have a high gloss finish?
the amonia could be drawing out the shine try some vinegar and water...I have formica counter tops that have a high gloss finish?
just wipe over every day when you wash the dishes and shine up with a old towel
Here is the info direct from the Formica Corp:





http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/u鈥?/a>
I had shiny counters once, and used a good auto paste wax on them from time to time. Worked like a charm---just like your car, it keeps them clean, stains don't penetrate, they are easier to clean, hides little scratches, and stayed very shiny. I cleaned them with a wet rag, or with my dishwater---very diluted sudsy water. Looked like new in a busy kitchen with 3 kids after 7 years. Then we moved.





Paste wax for cars can be used on any laminate counter, even the matte finish---they will just be shiny when you're done, but ultimately will be easier to clean and look nicer in the future.











*************** Try to avoid ammonia, such as window cleaner. It is a solvent and eats the wax. I just use a damp dish rag---and if I am cleaning up a greasy mess, I use my dishwater that contains detergent. What you use is less critical than making a decision about how often you feel like waxing your counter. If you like using Windex, do it---just plan to re-wax sooner as your finish will dull out again. (I was too busy with my kids to mess with it often, so I did what I could to reduce the amount of wax I removed with each cleaning)





Hope this works for you!
They make a cleaner called Counter-Gloss by Gel-Gloss. It is a kitchen detailer it is suppose to beautify and protect as it cleans. It is for tile, solid surface, granite %26amp; marble, and laminate. I probably will not replace the glossy shine that you have lost but it will sure help protect against stains. I bought mine at Menards home store. I do not know if you can get it anywhere else (I have never checked for it anyplace else). You might find it at Home Depot or Lowes, or wherever you can buy counter tops. I hope I have helped you out.
Gel-Gloss Cleaner Polish





Combines the most powerful non-abrasive cleaning agents Carnuaba Waxes to produce the highest surface luster possible. Excellent for sinks, basins, countertops, tubs, spas, RV's boats, shower doors, stainless steel and porcelain. Recommended for cleaning and maintenance of gel-coated surfaces.
It's possible that the gloss is lost and gone forever. That is the problem with laminated counter tops -- they are inexpensive and look good when new, but they don't hold up very well.
The actual finish layer of most plastic laminates is thin like paper. Since it is plastic, any harder material such as metal or porcelin can scratch it. (you have probably noticed counters in stores where the finish layer has worn completely through). The dullness you see may be the acumulation of tiny scratches. Some type of polish made for that would make the counter look better but the scratches would still be there. Soapy water is the mildest thing you could use. It kills germs too. Some types of plastic, such as polycarbonate sheet, recommend never using amonia and only using dishwashing liquid and water to preveny scratching and dulling.


I would quit using the Windex.
I personally would not like to smell vinigar. Antibacterial Lysol Kitchen and bath, Or plain old Antibacterial dish soap.Face it nothing will shine or stay new forever.
Edward is actually incorrect. Laminate countertops are inexpensive, but they do hold up for a long period of time. I don't have any experience with the shiny ones (I have seen them though). I would first question how old they are and if there is some type of defect. It could be that that brand is just truely cheap and doesn't stand up. You should be able to use harsh chemicals on your kitchen top because of the type of use it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
website hosting